Wednesday, January 9, 2008

First Post

This is my first experience using blogger, so please be patient with me. I have pretty limited formal experience with technology. I somehow managed to wiggle my way out of every computer and typing class I've ever had to take. However, I have experimented with different programs and learned some very basic HTML on my own. I am familiar with the basic features of power point and how to set one up. I have also played around with different website building programs such as geocities, and have a basic idea of how such programs work.

In this class I hope to gain a better understanding of Microsoft excel. I had to do two projects using it last semester in my sociology class and it was a HUGE struggle for me. I also hope to learn different ways that I can incorporate technology into the younger classroom. I am an elementary education major and would like to learn different ways to use technology with elementary aged children.


From the learning styles activity I learned that I am an active learner. This seems very accurate as I am the kind of person who likes to DO things to learn rather than just listen and take notes. I also enjoy hearing the opinions of others and working together to come to a conclusion. This activity said that I am an intuitive learner which seems accurate. However my results showed that I was right about in the middle of the two which surprised me. I also learned that I am a visual learner by a significant amount. I personally tend to learn something better when I am able to either see it in person or through charts and diagrams, as opposed to just text. Finally I learned that I am a sequential learner which surprised me. Although the results showed I was almost right in the middle. I would definitely consider myself more of a global learner.

1 comment:

jgentile said...

Wow, you are the 3rd person that said you wanted to learn more Excel. Hmm. Hope we can make everyone happy this semester because we only have one day scheduled for excel!! (I think)

Goto www.expertvillage.com (.net or .org maybe) Search for Microsoft Excel. There are a bunch of short videos by a guy going through all the basics. REALLY helpful.. I will have you watch them later in class but there is no reason you can't get started now.