Sunday, January 20, 2008

Post #1

In reading chapter one I found the ARCS Motivational Model to be very useful. Although some ideas in the model may seem to be common sense (for example, holding a student's attention) I feel it would be helpful as a teacher to have a model to look at when evaluating your teaching plans or methods. While it may be easy to plan a lesson that is relevant to the subject material, it may not be engaging enough to hold a student's interest, or it may not challenge a student. This model encompasses all vital aspects of learning and is a good resource for future (and current) teachers. Another interesting thing I learned from chapter one was what an integral part technology has become in the education system. Of course I realized that student's use computers for homework assignments, and teachers use them for inputting grades and attendance; however, I did not realize to what level technology has become integrated into education. In the teacher section I learned about transmedia stories. I thought that would be a great and interesting way to involve media in the elementary classroom, which is interesting to me as I am an elementary education major.

I have learned a LOT about Microsoft word through this class. While I was relatively proficient with the old Word program, I had very limited knowledge of Word 2007. I feel the Microsoft Word is one of the most essential computer programs you will need as a teacher. You can use it to make up tests and worksheets, write up documents to send home with students, type up letters to parents, administrators, and fellow teachers, as well as a myriad of other uses. In order to make a document either interesting and engaging to students, or professional looking you must know how to incorporate things into the document other than just text. In class I learned to insert pictures and clip art (which would be helpful when making engaging worksheets for students) as well as learned how to insert a header and footer (which would be useful when typing up more professional documents).

To be honest I didn't think that this course would be of much use to me as an elementary education major. I felt that most technology was reserved for upper levels of education such as middle and high school. I had NO idea how I would be able to incorporate technology into the elementary school classroom. However already this class has provided me with a variety of ideas, such as the transmedia stories I mentioned earlier, and I'm sure it will continue to throughout the class. I learned that technology in the classroom does not simply mean that a student sits at a computer and does an assignment. Even if I am in a classroom of very young children who have limited computer proficiency, as the teacher I can use different computer programs to enhance their learning. The use of technology is not limited to the student sitting at a computer.

1 comment:

jgentile said...

Great post. I think you will find alot more as time goes on in this class.