Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Post #2

Honestly, I felt like a lot of chapter three was a lot of very basic knowledge made more difficult than it needed to be. It discussed many of the basic software applications I have used for school over the years such as word processing software, database software, and presentation graphics software. I was actually pretty interested in the database software section because it discussed programs such as Excel. I think it is going to be helpful for me to be familiar with the technical terminology of excel for when we start learning it in class. A lot of the information I didn't find particularly relevant such as PDA and video/audio editing software. I thought the most useful thing I learned from the chapter was the School Use software. Particularly I found the special needs software very interesting. I plan to get my masters degree in special education after I finish getting my BA in elementary education so this information was particularly useful to me.

I learned SO much last week about Microsoft Word. I learned how to insert and use shapes to enhance a document and the different ways to fill the shapes, how to insert a hyper link and add columns, and different features for inserting graphics. I think learning how to make the newsletter was a great learning experience. As a future elementary school teacher I feel that good teacher/parent communication is essential. Because elementary aged children often are too young to appropriately relay important information to parents, I think sending home a newsletter would be a great way to maintain parent/teacher communication. Also I think it would be a fun way to involve students. The students could write articles about things they are doing in the classroom which could be compiled into a newsletter for parents. This expands the communication to not only parents and teachers, but students as well.

One thing I've been struggling with since starting my education classes is whether or not to get my master's degree out of school or wait. I know a LOT of teachers go back to school for their master's degree because the pay is significantly better. I've heard some people say to get it straight out of school because it will be easier than going back to school years down the road. However I've also heard people say you need to get your feet wet first and make sure it's something you really want to pursue before you spend two more years in school, then realize teaching isn't right for you. I think I want to get my master's degree right out of school because I'm going to be graduating a year early so I'd only be in school for 5 years to get my masters degree... but I'm still not sure. I was wondering if anyone else plan's to get their master's degree, and if so when?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wait till you student teach to decide. Then you will at least have a semester of real teaching underneath your belt. If you like it you can go for it. If you think you want to stay in education then I say GET IT NOW. The harder decision is not - do I get it now (YES).. but what do I get it in. If you think you want to be an administrator or something (which many teachers wished they could) then you need to get one in educational leadership. If you think you want to go off into some other wing of education (then get one in instructional technology or a subject area). NOTE - if you get one in a subject area you can then go to community college and teach that subject - A VERY NICE OPTION for someone who is ready for a change. It also means you would have a shot at teaching AP courses, etc... UM... lets talk about it in class with everyone.